Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Scharffen Berger Mother's Day Brownies

I did a Chocolate Tasting the other day and one of the Chocolates I used was 62% Scharffen Berger. That's not quite as dark as I like for an eating chocolate, and I had a lot left over. (I prepared for 100), but I had about 40. So what do do with the 'leftover' chocolate? Since it was Scharffen Berger Chocolate, I was thrilled to receive a Scharffen Berger Mother's Day email featuring Robert Steinberg's Fudgy Brownies recipe. How great is that for timing!

Now Robert Steinberg used a 70% Cacao Bittersweet Scharffen Berger Chocolate, and I probably would have, too, but since I had at least 8 ounces of 62% I substituted. I also added the rest of my chopped chocolate in chunks for just a bit more chocolate in the brownies. I can never have too much chocolate! One hint that Robert Steinberg gives about this recipe: Stir hard until the batter is smooth and glossy and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Great advice!

So here's the adapted recipe for:

Scharffen Berger Mother's Day Fudgy Brownies!

Ingredients 
6 Tbsp sweet butter, cut into cubes, plus more for the pan
8 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted walnut halves
1/2 cup 62% Scharffen Berger Chocolate, chopped into chunks

Directions
Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
Cut an 8 by 16-inch piece of parchment paper.
Lightly butter 8 by 8 by 2-inch pan and line  with the parchment, allowing to extend evenly over the opposite sides.
Butter parchment includingpaper on sides of pan.
Put chocolate and butter in large heatproof bowl set over pot of simmering water and stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
With large rubber spatula or wooden spoon, beat sugar and salt into chocolate mixture. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add flour and mix vigorously until batter is very glossy and pulls away from the sides of bowl.
Break nuts into large pieces over batter and fold in.
Fold in extra chocolate chunks.
Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan bottom on countertop to level batter.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until skewer in center comes out moist but clean.
Cool in pan oncooling rack for 10 minutes.
Remove brownies from tpan using parchment “handles,” and cool completely on rack before cutting into 2-inch squares.

No comments: