Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

National Pet Day: Healthy Dog Treats

Today is National Pet Day, and I thought I'd post a recipe for Dog Treats. No chocolate, though. Chocolate is poisonous and sometimes fatal to dogs. The following recipe is from the All Natural Dog Treat website. Topper, my golden retriever, likes peanut butter, so I thought I'd post this recipe.  If you want to get fancy, cut the treats/cookies with a dogbone cookie cutter. And, remember, everything in moderation, and that includes treats for your pet.

Peanut Butter Goodness Dog Treats

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup peanut butter (all-natural or organic)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine oil, peanut butter and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. Knead dough into firm ball and roll to 1/4 inch thickness.
2. Cut into 3 to 4 inch pieces. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Great recipe. It's so important to remind people that chocolate is bad for a canine. Hey, more for us, right :-)

~~louise~~ said...

Is that your puppy hanging out up there, Janet?

I didn't know chocolate wasn't good for dogs, thanks for sharing that. I'm with Tina, more for us!!!

Janet Rudolph said...

Dark chocolate is deadly, and that's usually what I bake with. I'm very careful around Topper. that's Topper in the photo!

yummychunklet said...

Great pet treats!

Anonymous said...

Hi :) This is a great recipe!

Portland Veterinarian said...

Really learned a lot from your informative blog. More power to you! Thanks:-)