Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Strawberries Stuffed with Chocolate Cream: Strawberry & Cream Day

Today is National Strawberries and Cream Day! I knew I had to find a way to add "chocolate" cream. Strawberries can be stuffed with all kinds of things that make them even more wonderful. I posted a recipe for Strawberries stuffed with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cheesecake, Tiramasu or Marscapone  all of which also included dipping the strawberries in chocolate first. So for Strawberries and Cream Day, I thought Strawberries with Chocolate Cream Stuffing would be perfect. I've made these many times, and there are lots of variations, of course, depending on the chocolate you choose and if you use Kahlua or Cream (or another liqueur). This recipe is adapted from both  RecipeZaar and Yummly,  two great sites for you to check out!

STRAWBERRIES STUFFED WITH CHOCOLATE CREAM

24-36 strawberries
1 cup dark chocolate (65-75%), chopped
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream or kahlua
4 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
14 cup powdered sugar

Wash berries, cut off stems and hollow out a bit to resemble a small cup.
Place chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips, if that's what you have) and Cream or Kahlua in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds on high. If not melted continue for 10 seconds each time until melted.
Set aside until cooled just a bit.
In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy.
Add chocolate mixture to cream cheese mixture and beat until combined.
Put the finished mixture into a Ziploc or pastry bag and fill strawberries. Heap the chocolate onto the top a bit and finish with a swirl :-).
Put strawberries in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Photo: Yummly

4 comments:

Sara Hoklotubbe said...

Oh, my. This sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to try this.

Sara Hoklotubbe

The Chocolate Covered Kitchen said...

I often make a variation of these to pack in my daughter's lunch and she loves them. Because I make chocolates, I usually have a pastry bag of chocolate ganache on hand (or in the freezer). For fewer calories, the cream cheese and sugar can be omitted, and cream increased to 1/3 C. Let the chocolate & cream set for about twenty minutes and it is firm enough to pipe.

Janet Rudolph said...

Fabulous, thanks, Chocolate Covered Kitchen. Will try that..

~~louise~~ said...

Strawberries, Chocolate Cream, oh my goodness. I'm sure there isn't a bite left:) I sure could use one filled with Kahlua cream right about, NOW!!!

Thanks for sharing, Janet. I'm headed for the Kahlua!!!