Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chocolate Cherry Cobbler: National Cherry Cobbler Day

Today is National Cherry Cobbler Day and fresh cherries are just starting to hit the market, but not all that many, so these recipes use bottled (or canned) pie filling. I did post a recipe for Cherry Chocolate Crumble last year when fresh cherries were abundant. Depending where you live and what you can find, have a look at that recipe.

However you can make these two Cherry Chocolate Cobblers using natural cherry pie filling. Check out Chukar Cherries Sour Cherry Fruit Filling. Fabulous. Whole and tangy Montmorency cherries. Red and delicious!

I suggest you try both of the following recipes. They're totally different in taste. Happy National Cherry Cobbler Day... and as I always say, everything tastes better with Chocolate!

CHERRY CHOCOLATE COBBLER

Ingredients
18 ounces Chukar's Sour Cherry Fruit Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup dark chocolate, broken up into bits 

Topping
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed Dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup sweet butter, softened (I use Kerrygold)

Directions
Preheat oven 375 degrees
Mix cherries, sugar and flour. Spread evenly into a 11 x 7 baking dish.
Sprinkle chocolate over top.

For topping
Mix together the flour, sugars and a pinch of salt.
Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
Sprinkle topping over cherry filling.
Bake cobbler until filling bubbles and topping is golden brown.
About 40 to 45 minutes.

****
This second recipe is all over the Internet. I've tweaked it a bit. It's easy and delicious. Again, I use Chukar Cherry Pie Filling, but use what you have!

CHERRY CHOCOLATE COBBLER II aka Cracker Barrel Cherry Chocolate Cobbler

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sweet butter
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
About 21 ounces Chukar's cherry pie filling
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter. Cut with a pastry blender until the crumbs are the size of small peas.
Over hot (not boiling) water, melt the chocolate. Allow to cool 5 minutes at room temperature.
Add milk and egg to the chocolate mixture; mix well. Blend into flour mixture; mix well.
Spread pie filling in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole.
Drop chocolate batter randomly over cherries. Sprinkle nuts all over top.
Bake at 350 degrees F 40-45 minutes.

4 comments:

Daryl Wood Gerber a.k.a. Avery Aames said...

Oh, my, my, this sounds too scrumptious for words! I can't wait to try this. I'll make a gluten-free version and report back. Oh, my, my. Salivating big-time.

Avery

Janet Rudolph said...

Easy to make the gluten free recipe.. depends where you want your chocolate :-)

Beth said...

I can't believe I missed Cherry Cobbler day. I have some frozen cherries that I could use - maybe I'll celebrate today!

Janet Rudolph said...

Never too late, Beth!