Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Mikki's Mandelbrot

There are many Mandelbrot recipes, and they're all delicious. When I was growing up, I loved our neighbor Flora's Mandelbrot. She was a great baker, and she always seemed to have extra for the neighborhood children.

Mandelbrot is very similar to biscotti in that it's twice baked. Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot is very special, and, of course, my favorite. Technically it's not mandelbrot since the word itself mean almond bread, but adding the chocolate chips makes these heavenly.

I've posted a Mandlebrot recipe before, but recently my neighbor Mikki brought Mandelbrot to my Literary Salon with mystery author Elizabeth George. I love when my worlds of mystery and chocolate collide. The Salon was great, and the Mandelbrot was terrific, so I asked if she would share it here on DyingforChocolate.com. The directions are Mikki's, complete with her own notes. If you compare Mikki's Mandelbrot with the other one. It's a difference in technique. The ingredients are quite similar.  Mikki left the extra Mandlebrot with me, and I snapped this photo before devouring the remainder. Of course when I make it, I will add more chocolate chips, but then I'm a chocoholic. Either way, you'll love these.

Mikki’s Mandlebrot

Eggs                3 large
Oil (Vegetable)1 Cup (If using canola or a blend it changes flavor)
Sugar               1 Cup (more or less, according to taste)
Flour                 3 1/2 cups
Baking powder 2 tsp
Salt                   1/4 tsp
Vanilla               1 tsp
Walnuts/Almonds 1 Cup, chopped (I prefer almonds. Mostly I delete nuts)
Semi-Sweet choc chips 3 oz. chopped (or use minis - easier)

Topping:
Cocoa       1 tsp
Cinnamon 1 tsp
Sugar        1 Tbsp
Mix together. Adjust to personal taste

Almonds, slivered 4 oz. (Mostly I delete)

Oven 350F

Beat eggs well & add oil & sugar. Sift dry ingredients then add to egg mixture. Add vanilla, (nuts, if desired), and chips. Shape into 2, 3, 4 rolls (whatever fits cookie sheet, whatever size cookie you want. Bake for 25 mins. (will crack on top a bit). Let cool 10 mins, slice, sprinkle with topping and separate each cookie a bit so next baking will bake all cookies throughout. Return to oven and bake for approx. 15 mins. Longer baking time makes crispier cookies; shorter baking time - cake like.

Makes about 50 cookies. Freezes well and taste great frozen.

No comments: