Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dirt Cupcakes for Earth Day


So I was thinking about dirt cupcakes for Earth Day. Something for the kids (and the kid in all of us). I know I have a recipe for cemetery cupcakes I use at Halloween, but I couldn't locate it. In the meantime, I found a great recipe for Dirt Cupcakes with terrific step by step illustrations at the Bumbling Baker.

Materials Needed:
12 chocolate cupcakes
1 1/2 chocolate frosting
Oreo baking crumbs
Gummi Worms

Directions:
1. After baking up a batch of chocolate cupcakes (The Bumbling baker halved Martha's One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes, recipe HERE), allow them to cool completely. Then, frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting, or with buttercream that's tinted brown or black. You don't want the frosting to be noticeable once the cupcakes are dipped in the cookie crumbs.
2. Use Oreo baking crumbs to coat the frosted cupcakes. You could always break apart a bunch of Oreo cookies and finely crush the cookie bits, but it's a heck of a lot of work, and these are supposed to be EASY.
3. Put the cookie crumbs in a shallow bowl so it's easy to dip the cupcakes.
4. Dip the cupcake in the cookie crumbs.
5. Making sure you really get it in there.
6. Don't forget to roll the sides of the cupcake in the crumbs too.
7. Until you can't see any frosting and the cupcake is totally coated.
8. Grab a wooden spoon, and use the end of the handle to poke a hole deep into the cupcake.
Then pop a gummi worm in the hole.

I saw a lot of other recipes on the web, but I liked this one the best. Haven't tried it yet, but the ingredients look right, the directions are simple, and I love the looks of 'dirt' on top with one single worm.

So now you have choices of chocolate for Earth Day. Be sure and read my previous posts on earth-friendly chocolate.


No comments: